Venetian blinds, also known as slat blinds or horizontal blinds, make for a lovely addition to the design of every Australian home. Originating from the beautiful town of Venice, these horizontal slats are both convenient and fashionable. They also have a very straightforward installation process and are easy to maintain. Due to all of these benefits, more and more homeowners in Australia are turning to the slat blinds option.
Whether you are considering horizontal blinds among other types, or you have already decided on this kind for the new design of your home, in this article, you will learn helpful tips and tricks on how to install Venetian blinds.
Choosing your new Venetian blinds
One great thing about Venetian blinds is their versatility. They come in wooden, aluminium, and plastic options, in different sizes and styles. Before you equip your home with new blinds, you should consider your needs and the overall look you want to archive. Keep on reading to learn which horizontal blinds are right for you.
Decide if you want an inside mount or outside mount
Once you have chosen a model of Venetian blinds, the next step is to decide if you want an inside or outside mount – this will affect the amount of light that will come through. Now, raise your hand if you have ever wondered what is the difference between inside and outside mount blinds. Here is the answer:
As the name suggests, inside mount Venetian blinds are fixed inside the window frame, creating a simpler, minimalistic appearance. They require spacing on each side of the blinds for the installation brackets, which allows a streak of light to strain through both sides. However, with this type of mount, you will need to make sure there are no obstacles that can get in the way of the blinds, such as window sills or window winners.
Outside mount blinds are fitted on the window frame itself or installed on the wall. This option gives a darker and more private appearance to the property, as the blinds overlap the whole window and limit light. Here the size of the blinds is not as important as with the other option.
Measure and cut to size
Once you have determined which type of mount blinds you prefer, the next step is to measure your windows. The measuring technique will be slightly different depending on whether you will be getting inside or outside mount blinds. All you need are a tape measure, some paper, and a pencil. Once you have those, it’s time to get to work.
- Measure the depth of the inside recess and then add an extra 10 mm. You’ll need enough space to fit the blinds. If the width of the slats is more than the depth of the recess, the blinds will rub against the window and won’t work properly.
- Place the tape inside the recess, and start measuring from one side of the window frame to the opposite side. In case your window is not perfectly square, use the shortest width, and write it down. Keep in mind that you will need about 5 mm at each side to accommodate the brackets.
- Measure the length of the inside recess, also known as vertical drop, by starting from the top of the window frame and measuring to the base.
- Double-check your measurements to avoid any troubles later.
- Place your tape measure at one side of the architrave, and run the width to the other side. Don’t forget to write down every time you measure.
- Measure both side lengths by starting from the top and continue up to where you want your blinds to end.
- Plan enough space for the headrail that will need to fit above the window. Often, the headrail is the same width as the width of the Venetian slats.
- Don’t forget to double-check your measurements.
When you are done measuring, it is finally time to pick your Venetian blinds. The majority are made to fit standard-sized windows, however, if your windows are non-standard ones, you will need to cut to size. Don’t panic, most hardware stores offer a cut-to-size service.
How to install Venetian blinds
Once you have decided on the material, the mounting style, and the size of your new Venetian blinds, it’s time to think about how you are going to install them. If you have never fitted blinds before, or you are unsure of how to approach the task of installing Venetian blinds, don’t be discouraged – we are here to help you. Below you’ll find a step-by-step guide on how to install Venetian blinds and all the tools that you will need:
A step-by-step installation guide
- Align the brackets
Mark a point on either side of the window with a pencil. Make sure they are at the same height and/or depth. If you are covering a very wide window, you can plan for an additional bracket in the middle of the frame to support the weight of the Venetian Blinds. Use a spirit level to make sure all the brackets are on the same level.
- Attach the brackets
Using your drill, make a pilot hole over the pencil markings, and screw the brackets in place. If you want to make things even more secure, use the impact driver attachment for the drilling process.
- Install the Venetian blinds
Open the clips on the brackets. Then, lift the blinds, holding them from underneath the headrail, place the front side of the headrail into the brackets, and snap it securely in place.
Hire a professional to install your window blinds
If you don’t have the time, the right tools, or you simply prefer to leave the Venetian blinds installation to the professionals, that is perfectly okay. Sometimes contacting an experienced handyman is the best option. The blinds installation service in Australia on average cost around $50-60 per hour. Depending on the features you choose and how big your project is, the overall cost can vary, so it’s best to check with a local provider of your choice. Fantastic Services will be happy to step in and help you out. We work with professionals that are equipped with all the right tools and skills to install any type of Venetian blinds, no matter the brand. Saving yourself the stress and time, you can equip your home with the fresh new look of Venetian blinds.
Ready for a professional blinds installation?
Book an expert handyman now and save yourself the work!
You can book our handyman services in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth!
- Venetian blinds create a simplistic, fashionable look and are easy to install;
- Depending on the mounting type, blinds can be installed inside the window frame or fixed outside the window frame;
- Installing Venetian blinds is a straightforward process. You just need to follow the steps we’ve provided and buy the right tools for the job;
- However, consider contacting professionals for quickly installed Venetian blinds.
If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the comments section. We will be happy to answer them all!